Skip to main content


If you have an emergency, dial 911.

What is a Burn Day?

Burn days are designated by the California Air Resources Board (ARB). Each day the ARB examines weather patterns to predict whether the smoke from fires will dissipate safely. If the answer is yes, the ARB declares that day a burn day. Air Resources Board.

What is an agricultural burn permit?

Agricultural burning is the intentional use of fire for vegetation management in areas such as agricultural fields, orchards, rangelands, and forests. Agricultural burning helps commercial farmers remove crop residues left in the field after harvesting grains, such as hay and rice. Commercial farmers also use agricultural burning for the removal of orchards and vineyard prunings and trees.

Where can I get an agricultural burn permit?  

Agricultural Burn Permit Information

What is a residential burn permit?

For non-commercial residents cleaning yard waste (trees, shrubs etc.) from property.

Where can I get a residential burn permit? 

Residential Burning is the open burning of yard wastes by household residents. Residential burning of green waste includes dry weeds, plant prunings, shrubbery, tree trimmings and branches.

  • Burning may occur only between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. 
    Do not start a new burn after 3 p.m., or place additional material to an existing fire.
  • All green waste materials must be dry (extra precautions must be taken to account for moisture from recent rains) & free of trash or dirt.
  • Green waste must originate on the property where burning occurs.
  • Burns may not cause a nuisance with smoke and ash to neighbors.
  • Have a 30' cleared firebreak around burn pile to prevent escaping, clear of all structures and overhanging trees.
  • Control burn must be attended by at least one adult at all times.
  • Have a water source, shovel, and hoe nearby just in case.
  • Burning is the responsibility of the permittee -- violations and escapes may result in citations and suppression costs.
  • Burning household garbage, trash, lumber, & construction material is illegal. Other means of disposal must be made.

To obtain a Residential Burn Permit, stop in at our office to obtain your burn permit. Residential Burn Permits are issued from November through April. If drought or weather conditions warrant, permits may start being issued later and end earlier.

When May I Burn?

For residential burn permits, you must check with the Air Resources Board and local  CAL-OES Status.

You must also call Solano Dispatch at the number listed on the burn permit before you initiate a burn.  You must state to Solano Dispatch that you have met the prerequisites listed on the burn permit.

The hours during which you may burn depend on the permit issued by your local fire agency or the YSAQMD. Burning is allowed only on declared burn days.

I need an inspection for a business license. 
Call 447-2252 to schedule an inspection and the inspection may be done within 5 business days.

We would like to schedule a tour of the Fire Station. 
Tours of the Fire Station may be scheduled by calling 707-447-2252, during normal business hours. We request that tours be scheduled in advance. To assist in scheduling, please have the following information available:

  • Date and time requested
  • Number of persons expected to attend
  • Age group of attendees
  • Length of tour requested

We can also come to you. If you would like a firefighter to speak to a group of children or adults regarding fire safety call 707-447-2252 during normal business hours to set up a meeting.

I need to request a fire or other incident report. 
There is a $7.00 service fee for report copies. Date, time and location of the incident is needed before we can process your request.  Please email for any public records requests.  

My neighbor has dry weeds that are a fire hazard. What can be done to make them take care of the weeds? 
Contact the Prevention Bureau for information 447-2252. If they are unavailable leave a call back number and they will contact you.

Weed Abatement is a clearance of 100’ around all structures or to the property line if less than 100’.

Join our mailing list